I had stopped doing reviews of my boxes, and then had asked the companies to stop sending them. And I missed them. So I have restarted my shipments. There are a few that I won’t get until next month, so I am going to review what I have gotten so far!
Please be advised that some of the links provided are affiliate links and I do receive a small commission if you make a purchase using those links. I very much appreciate your support of this blog in doing so!
- The Subscription: Julep
The Description: Nail polish box and a beauty box. Get either 3 polishes, 2 polishes and a beauty product, or 2 beauty products per month.
- The Price: $20 per month
- How it Works: Julep is $24.99/month or $19.99/month with a 3 month subscription. You can sign up with one of the free offers and get your first box free, just pay $2.99 shipping. Once you are a maven, you will be able to select the items in your box between the 20th and 24th of the month.
- COUPON: Julep Maven 4-piece Welcome Box FREE for New Subscribers. ($62 Value) Just pay $2.99 shipping.
I fibbed a little bit. The two subscription boxes that I never stopped were my Julep Maven and my Dollar Shave Club. The razor blades are definitely a necessity. I will get to that one later. The thing I love about the Julep Maven box is that you get full size products, no samples. A lot of people talk about this one for the nail polish. I am lazy, and do not polish my own nails. I keep a few colors on hand in case my mani or pedi gets chipped, but I will be honest and tell you that my 5 year old granddaughter could do a much better job on my nails than I could. I just don’t have the patience.
I love the fact that you can choose what kind of products you receive. You can get either 3 polishes, 2 polishes and a beauty product, or 2 beauty products per month. I do love their makeup. I have had this subscription for a couple of years, and I have quite the collection of Julep makeup at this point, and I can honestly tell you that I really love it.
Another great thing about Julep is that you can log in between the 20th-24th of the month and edit what you are receiving that month. I neglected to do that this month, and I am upset with myself. I really like the brow products they sent out, “don’t leave your brows at home all-in-one brow powder and brush” and the “lock down your brows iconic brow gel.” My problem is that the color of brow powder I got was warm brown, and I need a much lighter color. I do love the brow gel!
And of course the nail polish color I got is a kind of burgundy/orange/gold sparkly color, which is not a great choice for a blue-eyed blonde. I will be gifting that one!
THE VERDICT: I theoretically really like this month…any issues I have are with colors, not formulations, so that is on me, not Julep!
- The Subscription: Birchbox
- The Description: Birchbox is a discovery box that will send you 5 samples or full-size products. Earn rewards points by subscribing and reviewing your products that you can spend on full-size items on their site.
- The Price: $10 per month
- How it works: Birchbox is a beauty sampling subscription box. You’ll get at least 5 items every month to try out and see what you love. Birchbox is $10 a month, plus you accumulate points after reviewing the items in your box! You’ll get 10 points per item reviewed, and 100 points are equal to $10 in the shop.
I love Birchbox, and love the design of the box this month. In the April box, I received:
- Atelier Cologne, Rose Anonyme Cologne Absolue: I thought this was going to be overwhelmingly rose, but I really like this. I usually throw the perfume samples in a little dish on my dressing table that has turned into the perfume sample graveyard, but I have actually worn this for three days straight!
- Beaver Professional Hydro Nutritive Moisturizing Shampoo: I used these this morning, and it smells great. It advertises that it helps smooth your hair, but it couldn’t seem to overpower my level of frizz.
- Beaver Professional Hydro Nutritive Repairing Conditioner: see above
- LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip Lube Pencil: I really like the feel of this, and it smells minty, but the color is a bit too sheer for me.
- Temple Spa Peace Be Still Calming Face and Body Balm: . I am not sure that it could calm me down, but it does smell and feel nice!
THE VERDICT: I will use all of these samples, but I think the only thing I would buy is the perfume!
- The Subscription: Dollar Shave Club
- The Description: Pick out a handle and get your razor cartridges each month for one tiny fee. Add on extras like shave butter and flushable moist wipes
- The Price: $3-9 per month, depending on selection
- How it works: Dollar Shave Club is a shaving monthly subscription. You can get a twin razor for $3 per month , the 4x for $6 per month, or the executive for $9 per month. Your monthly shipment is generally just a package of blades, but you can add on a variety of shaving products and if you switch the blade or start a new subscription, your handle will be included in the box.
It may seem crazy to do a razor blade subscription, but I have a husband and two teenaged sons to buy razor blades for, not to mention for me. This is one less thing for me to worry about. I used to be all over CVS with my coupons, buying whatever was on sale. Then I had scenarios where everyone was trying to find handles and blades that fit each other, and I just realized that is so much easier to have everyone using the same handles and the same blades. It is kind of like that epiphany when I realized how much easier my life would be to do laundry if I only bought one brand and type of socks for my sons.
The razor blades and handle are great quality. Every month you have an opportunity to change your order, and you can add on extra handles and other stuff. Plus you get a cute little bathroom reader, and funny things written on the blade package.
THE VERDICT: TOTALLY worth it!
- The Subscription: Tea Sparrow
- The Description: 4 carefully selected teas from around the world. Tea Box averages 35 cups of tea (about 3oz or 80g). Tea Sparrow delivers a variety of world-class blends to your door every month.
- The Price: $20 per month
- How it works: Tea Sparrow is a tea subscription box. With Tea Sparrow you get 4 premium loose leaf teas per month – you’ll get a variety of expertly hand-selected teas chosen for their look, region, aroma, and taste! You can get a one-time tea box for $25, an ongoing subscription for $20 per month (pause/cancel any time!), a 3 month prepaid subscription for $66, or a 6 month one for $120. Tea Sparrow ships from Canada!
THE VERDICT: The packaging is great, they include descriptions and specific brewing instructions for each tea. If you are in to this kind of tea, then this would be a great subscription. Let’s just say that this will be my one and only month of this one, and I am looking for someone who wants four packets of tea!
What subscription boxes do you get?