Last week I was talking about what a disaster my summer has been, and that it is time to Get it Together.. I realized that my schedule and routines and plans had gotten so bad that I didn’t even know where to start getting myself and my family back in line.
Have you ever felt like that?
One thing I try to do on a regular basis is to try to empty my mind and make a mind map. I sit down with some paper and draw out what all is going on in my life. I try to think about all of the different parts of my daily life…here are some examples:
- Mind and Spirit
- Physical health
- Family and relationships:
- Career and business
- Personal development
So now start drawing out your map. It doesn’t have to be pretty, or make sense to anyone else.
For me, I have a husband (who has been living and working in Saudi Arabia for over two years), four sons (two at home), a daughter-in-law, a granddaughter, two dogs and a cat. So then everything else in my life revolves around them.
This is what my mind map looks like:
I know it’s messy, but I am keeping it real.
Now you need to set some goals. How do you do that?
Here are my four handy steps:
- Dreams : I want to wake up every morning loving my life….but what does that mean? Dreaming about what you would like your life to look like is an excellent way to get started with your goals. Keep in mind that your dreams need to be realistic. If I write down things like, “look like Giselle Bundchen” I am only going to be discouraged!
- Objectives: Once you have an idea of what you want, take the time to define it in real terms. For example, you might dream of being healthier, but what does that mean? It could mean eating healthier, working out, reducing your stress, dealing with health problems, drinking more water…
- Goals: You have gone from wanting to get healthy, to deciding that means to work out. What does that mean? Does that mean to do the Couch to 5K program 3 days a week, strength train twice a week, do yoga on Saturdays? Get specific.
- Plans: Now we are getting to the fun part!
- First you have to decide which goals you will be focusing on, such as you are going to go to the gym 3 times a week.
- Decide what you need to support your goal – gym clothes, gym membership, a friend to go to the gym with…
- Schedule it: Set a specific date and time when you are going to start.
Now we transfer!
I take this nifty Monthly Goal Planner that I made, that you can click and download.
I just take all of those areas of my life from my mind map, and insert those in the first column. I had ten, but if you have more, just print another sheet!
Here is what mine looks like so far (I am still working on it!:
The next thing I do is to print out this Monthly Goal Tracker:
This is great for tracking things like going to the gym, drinking my water, daily Bible reading, blogging schedule…this is what mine looks like (yes, it is a hot mess):
Now I keep these forms on my desk throughout the month. As I think of things I want to work on I can add them, or as I complete things I can check them off!
This really helps me to start getting my thoughts together…I hope it helps you!