There are a lot of things I miss now that I am diabetic and need to eat low carb.
Maybe it is because I am originally from Texas, but Mexican food is something that I have found it really hard to do without…so I have had to find ways to make my favorite foods healthier for me.
I roughly calculated the total carbs in this recipe, and then divided it by 6…I came up with a total of 5 carbs per serving. Not too bad!
You can add some drained hot or mild diced tomatoes and green chiles in the sauce, it is entirely up to you.
I strain the chicken and use a hand mixer to shred my chicken right in the pot I cooked it in.
I always place my casseroles on a baking sheet covered in foil…just in case!
- 2 pounds chicken breast (boneless skinless or tenderloins)
- 27 oz. can whole green chiles (I used Hatch)
- 28 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce ( I used Las Palmas)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Ripe olives, sliced
- Place chicken in a pot and cover with water.
- Cook chicken on medium high heat until done.
- In a saucepan, combine the enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and green chiles, and cream cheese.
- Heat sauce over medium heat until bubbly, stirring often.
- Use a whisk if needed to make the sauce smooth.
- While chicken and sauce are cooking, spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Take half of the can of whole green chiles, cut down the side so they will lay flat, and cover bottom of casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Shred chicken when cooked through. I drained the chicken and used my hand mixer to shred it right in the pot!
- Add the chicken to the sauce and combine.
- Pour half of the sauce over the layer of green chiles.
- Top with half of the Jack cheese and half of the Cheddar.
- Repeat the layers of chiles, sauce and cheese.
- Place the casserole on a baking sheet covered with foil, just to protect against it spilling over.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Garnish with ripe olives, cilantro, and sour cream if you like it!