So I try to cook “normal food” that I can tweak a little bit to make low carb, so that my family and I don’t feel like we are being short changed just because I am diabetic and can’t eat the way I used to!
I served this with spinach (we like ours with butter and Texas Pete), and you can add a starchy side for your family if they want one. If you don’t care about the sugar in regular honey mustard, you can use a prepared honey mustard instead, or substitute some honey instead of the Splenda.
[tweetthis]Yum! Low Carb Alice Springs Chicken Casserole! #ketokary #keto #lowcarb #onedollarcottage [/tweetthis]
In the interest of full disclosure, I am going to tell you that I totally screwed up this recipe.
My husband and I were having a conversation on FaceTime earlier today (he is in Saudi Arabia) and he made a joke about how the saying should really be “stupidity is the mother of invention” rather than “necessity is the mother of invention.”
Thanks for the jinx, honey.
Flash forward 5 hours, and I discovered that I had defrosted chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts. It is a little difficult to crisscross two pieces of bacon on a chicken tender.
So, stupidity was the mother of the new “Alice Springs Chicken Casserole.”
We still have chicken, honey mustard (sugar free), mushroom, bacon and cheese. Instead of breasts we have tenderloins, instead of pieces of bacon we have crumbled bacon.
And you know what? It still tasted awesome!
NUTRITION COUNT: 700 calories and 2 grams of carbs per serving!
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 T. butter
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley
- Blend first 5 ingredients together until smooth to make honey mustard sauce.
- Pour about ⅔ of the marinade over chicken breasts in a bag or bowl and marinate them, covered, in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Chill the remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
- Sear the chicken for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken and place in baking dish.
- Melt the butter in the same frying pan, and saute the mushrooms.
- Brush the chicken with some of the reserved marinade.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Spoon the sautéed mushrooms onto the chicken.
- Spread crumbled bacon on top of chicken and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle cheeses on top of chicken, mushrooms and bacon.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and is starting to bubble.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Put extra honey mustard in a small bowl to serve on the side.