In the spirit of the fall season, I had my first Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino (#whitegirl) and made my first pumpkin pie! I am aware that the Frappuccino was not on my low carb regimen, but I made sure that the pumpkin pie was!
I have not been crazy about the low carb pie crust alternatives I have tried in the past…I would rather just not have a crust than deal with one with a weird consistency. This praline crust is a great alternative…it adds texture and taste, but isn’t trying to be a traditional “crust.”
I have made this pie twice. The first time, I did it as I wrote it. The second time, I actually made the crust by putting the melted butter and the rest of the ingredients in my Ninja blender, and it was a lot easier to mix up!
This pie serves 12, with 6 grams net carbohydrates per serving.
- PRALINE CRUST
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ cup sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PIE FILLING
- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- MAKE THE CRUST
- Melt the butter and mix all of the crust ingredients together in a small bowl.
- While it is still warm from the melted butter, press it evenly over the bottom of a 10 inch pie pan.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Remove from oven
- Turn up the oven to 425 degrees F
- MAKE THE FILLING
- Whisk all filling ingredients in a medium bowl
- pour the filling in to the crust
- bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F
- Continue to bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes, then chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream!